GLEN WALTER – A food market business based on local products has been awarded the New Business of the Year at the Seekers Choice Awards.
Roughly 80 people were at the awards ceremony Friday night at the Cornwall Golf and Country Club.
Marrow and Spice owner Mike Merriam and culinary expert Roger Caron accepted the award for their Pitt Street location, which opened in February 2016 and offers sauces, soups, salads and take-out meals.
The night also benefited two local charities.
Early estimates are the dinner raised roughly $1,200 for Rachel’s Kids and a silent auction to help Lily Douglas – a four-year-old recently diagnosed with cancer – raised around $2,000.
Here’s a rundown of the other award winners:
- Best Home Based Business: McMaze
- Existing Business of the Year: Sharyn’s Pantry
- Visual Artist of the Year: Jennifer Shearer
- Original Musical Artist of the Year: Alison Wonderland Band
- Literary Artist of the Year: Katalin Kennedy
- Performing Artist of the Year: Stephanie Carriere
- Athlete of the Year: Mary Patrick
- Volunteer of the Year: Shelley Boisvenue
- Seeker Contributor of the Year: Shannon Ferguson
The awards event, recognizing grassroots businesses and community contributors, is in its sixth year