Agape Center noxious odour a mystery

The Agape Center in Cornwall, Ont. is roped off with tape after being evacuated Wednesday, June 15, 2016. Several workers were overcome by something in the air. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – A noxious odour which forced the evacuation of the Agape Center Wednesday morning remains a mystery.

After an “exhaustive” process of using air detection equipment and having Union Gas officials on site, Fire Chief Pierre Voisine told Cornwall Newswatch Friday they were unable to isolate a source of the odour.

“We were unable to decipher what the product was,” Voisine said.

Some of the 20 workers in the building complained of throat irritation and had a hacking cough Wednesday morning. They were treated by paramedics on scene while some were taken to hospital as a precaution after being overcome by fumes.

The smell was described as an “ammonia-type” by Agape Center Communications Officer Kendra Smith.

The Agape Center was forced to close for the day but has since reopened.

Fire Chief Voisine said there only assumption is something may have been dumped in the dumpster and the odour made its way into the building.

Thumbs Up(1)Thumbs Down(0)