Here are the latest local, regional and national headlines on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for Friday, December 10, 2021:
- There have been 627,611 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, an increase of 1,290 cases from the previous day (VAX: 548 unvaccinated, 42 partially vaccinated, 548 fully vaccinated, 83 unknown). There have been 608,896 people recovered from the virus while 10,054 have died. The number of Ontario people tested is 20,088,793 of which 23,263 have pending results.
- Canada’s coronavirus case total is 1,823,009. The country has 29,876 deaths from the virus – 14 in the Yukon, 12 in the Northwest Territories, four in Nunavut, 2,378 in British Columbia, 3,271 in Alberta, 936 in Saskatchewan, 1,344 in Manitoba, 10,054 in Ontario, 11,597 in Quebec, 138 in New Brunswick, 18 in Newfoundland & Labrador and 110 in Nova Scotia.
- The Eastern Ontario Health Unit added 14 cases Thursday – four in Prescott-Russell, four in SD&G and six in Cornwall – to bring the regional total to 6,179 confirmed cases, of which 100 are active (six more than Wednesday) and 5,947 are resolved (seven more than Wednesday). One death was added to bring the total to 132. There are three people in hospital and one in the ICU (no changes from Wednesday). There are no institutional outbreaks. Testing increased 217 to 175,287. The breakdown of cases is: Prescott-Russell 2,304 cases (16 active), SD&G 1,454 cases (26 active), Cornwall 1,908 cases (39 active) and Akwesasne (ON/QC) 513 cases (19 active)(Akwesasne health department as of Wednesday: 590 total cases, 20 active, nine deaths to date).
- The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit added 32 cases Thursday to bring the regional total to 2,158 confirmed cases, of which 60 are active (21 more than Wednesday) and 2,033 are recovered (11 more than Wednesday). The number of deaths to date is 65. There are four people in hospital (one more than Wednesday) and two in the ICU (one more than Wednesday). There are no active institutional outbreaks. The community case breakdown is: Lanark County East 456 cases (two active), Lanark County West 487 cases (nine active), Leeds-Grenville Central 291 cases (21 active), Leeds-Grenville East 430 cases (13 active), Leeds-Grenville West 257 cases (14 active) and Unknown/Out of Region 30 cases (one active).
- Vaccines: Ontario 24,225,882 (+75,093, last update Dec. 9); EOHU 348,622 (last update Dec. 9, +1,086 from previous update Dec. 8); LGL 154,443 individuals living in LGL with first doses, 149,083 with second doses, 11,784 with third doses. (last update Dec. 5, +1,702 first doses, +347 second doses, +3,991 third doses since previous update Nov. 28).
- The LGL District Health Unit says people who went to the Perth Blue Wings hockey game on Dec. 3 may have been exposed to COVID-19. Attendees are told to watch for coronavirus symptoms and self-isolate and getting tested if symptoms show up.
- The province’s GO-VAXX mobile bus-based vaccination clinic will come to Cornwall at the Eastcourt Mall on Monday (Dec. 13) from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. The clinic will be administering first, second or third doses of Pfizer.
- The Upper Canada District School Board reported new cases associated with Beckwith Public School, CCVS, Rockland Public School, Russell High School and South Crosby Public School in Elgin. The Elgin public school is closed today (Friday) to “reassess the situation” over the weekend after the regional health unit identified “multiple exposures,” the board says. All other schools are open and running normally.
Have a story or news release related to COVID-19? Send it along for possible inclusion in a future digest on Cornwall Newswatch. Email email@example.com. Please put “COVID-19 Digest” in the subject line.