Fire in Guy Street duplex

Cornwall Fire Services Platoon Chief Jody Dewar speaks with fellow firefighters (not shown) at the scene of an apartment fire in the 300 block of Guy Street on Wednesday, May 13, 2020. No one was injured but the building has extensive fire damage in the upstairs unit. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – No one was injured Wednesday afternoon after a fire in an upstairs apartment of a Guy Street duplex.

Emergency responders were called around 4:30 p.m. to the home at 314 Guy Street, just north of Walton Street.

Platoon Chief Jody Dewar says the tenants were outside and there was heavy black smoke coming out of the building. “The back rear upstairs apartment was on fire. Everybody was out and we extinguished it,” Dewar told Cornwall Newswatch.

“It’s still under investigation. We have an idea where it started,” he said.

Black soot surrounds the windows of the upstairs unit of a duplex in the 300 block of Guy Street in Cornwall, Ont. on Wednesday, May 13, 2020. No one was injured in the fire. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

The windows in the upper floor of the over-under duplex were all broken with black soot marks on the outside walls. Pieces of the siding at the back of the building were either melted or falling off.

The lower unit was unoccupied and it was under renovations, Dewar added.

A section of Guy Street from Walton Street to First Street East was still closed at 8 p.m. as Cornwall Fire Services was still on scene.

Thumbs Up(4)Thumbs Down(9)