Here are the latest local, regional and national headlines on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for Thursday, April 16, 2020:
- There have been 8,447 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, an increase of 494 cases (or 6.2 per cent) from the previous day. There are 3,902 people recovered from the virus while 385 people have died. The number of Ontario people tested is 119,092 of which 4,429 have pending results.
- Canada’s confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 case total is 28,381. The country has 1,010 COVID-19 related deaths – 75 in British Columbia, 48 in Alberta, four in Saskatchewan, five in Manitoba, 385 in Ontario, 487 in Quebec, three in Newfoundland & Labrador and three in Nova Scotia.
- The Cornwall, SD&G and Prescott-Russell region stayed steady Wednesday at 61 cases of coronavirus. The number of people in hospitals is five – three in the intensive care unit (ICU). Thirty-four people have recovered (four more than Tuesday).
- The health unit started releasing COVID-19 numbers by the city and the counties. There are 10 positive cases to date in the City of Cornwall. Read more here.
- Testing is closing in on 800 coronavirus tests in the region. Read the breakdown of tests at the assessment centers here.
- The province has announced a plan to aggressively test long term care homes across Ontario. The three point plan will also better manage outbreaks and moving medical staff to long term care homes to respond to outbreaks.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the partial economic shutdown will continue for a weeks more to get coronavirus under control. The economy is already feeling the effects as the gross domestic product (GDP) shrank nine per cent in March.
- A ban on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border is scheduled to expire next week and U.S. President Donald Trump has suggested the border controls could be loosened sooner than later. Trump believes Canada has a good handle on the disease. On the flip side, the U.S. has more cases than any other country in the world with New York State being the hotbed of coronavirus.
Have a story or news release related to COVID-19? Send it along for possible inclusion in a future digest on Cornwall Newswatch. Email email@example.com. Please put “COVID-19 Digest” in the subject line.