SD&G – The Eastern Ontario Health Unit announced Tuesday afternoon its first three newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.
The first case is a woman in her 30s who is in self-isolation. How she contracted the virus is under investigation.
The two other cases are both men in their 50s. Both have a history of travel to the United Kingdom. One also has a travel history to Pakistan.
One of them is still in self-isolation while the other has recovered, the health unit said.
Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis says these cases were from swab tests taken a week ago. “There was some concern that most of our cases were from Prescott-Russell and there was perhaps a complacency or comfort level from the rest of the area. But, no, we have three from the SD&G area.”
“I do expect more,” the doctor said, adding that there is “more than 13” positive cases. Officials are catching up on cases based on last week’s tests. Another couple of cases are coming soon.
“They’re all over SD&G and Prescott-Russell.”
“I wouldn’t be surprised if we go over 20, over 30, very shortly,” he said.
While saying he’s not hung up on the numbers, Roumeliotis says he will be interested in seeing the growth rate of the disease once the case count is caught up.
The latest official count is 13 COVID-19 cases in the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry and United Counties of Prescott-Russell.