Onion ring cooking leads to South Stormont kitchen fire

Two South Stormont firefighters check with a thermal camera outside the kitchen of a Post Road home on Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020 after a kitchen fire. The fire chief says the homeowner was cooking onion rings when things got out of hand. Note the black soot on the window shutter (left) and below the exhaust vent. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

LONG SAULT – A home on Post Road (County Road 36), north of Cornwall, has some damage after a kitchen fire Tuesday afternoon.

South Stormont firefighters, SD&G O.P.P. and Cornwall-SDG Paramedic Services were at the home at 16835 Post Road (west of Power Dam Drive near the Highway 401 overpass) around 2:45 p.m.

Fire Chief Gilles Crepeau told Cornwall Newswatch the homeowner was cooking onion rings when he was alerted by a smoke alarm about a grease fire in the kitchen.

He was able to get out safely and wasn’t hurt.

Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire and get the situation under control, the chief said.

Soot marks could be seen around the exhaust vent and kitchen window at the front of the two-storey house as a couple of firefighters used a thermal camera to check for hot spots or any fire extension into the walls.

There was also some concern early on as a couple of large propane tanks were located against the outside kitchen wall.

Police closed off a section of Post Road between the municipal works garage and the overpass for part of the afternoon.

The property was later released back to the homeowner.

South Stormont firefighters work at the scene of a kitchen fire on Post Road on Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020. The fire chief says the homeowner was cooking onion rings when things got out of hand. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
Thumbs Up(10)Thumbs Down(1)