Smith Avenue fire ruled accidental

(Newswatch Group/File)

CORNWALL – A weekend fire in Cornwall that destroyed a home on Smith Avenue has been ruled accidental.

Fire investigators wrapped up their work around midday Sunday and they believe the fire started from some sort of electrical fault, Fire Chief Pierre Voisine told Cornwall Newswatch.

Firefighters spent several hours late Saturday afternoon beating back the flames.

“We fought the fire defensively. It was well advanced when we got there. We attempted to make entry and then we backed off,” Voisine said.

No one was home at the time but several animals – guinea pigs, a dog and cats – died.

A family member says the building was insured. Relatives have set up a GoFundMe page for help with immediate expenses.