Charges laid in Cornwall CO poisoning case; building for sale

An ambulance heads from a Louisa Street apartment complex on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016 after several tenants suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. Cornwall Fire Platoon Chief Pierre Baril says a guest at the building found one of the tenants was partially overcome by the colourless, odourless gas. Two people were hospitalized. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – The Cornwall Fire Department has laid charges in connection to a case where two people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning last month.

Fire Chief Pierre Voisine told Cornwall Newswatch the charges were laid March 4, 2016 at the Provincial Offences Act (POA) court on Pitt Street.

Jason Chin is facing two charges of failing to install a smoke alarm and failing to install a carbon monoxide detector under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act.

A court check shows Chin’s first appearance date is March 29, 2016.

Charges under the Ontario Fire Code can carry a maximum $100,000 fine per violation and/or up to a year in jail, following a conviction.

Apartment building for sale

Meanwhile, the multi-unit apartment building has been put on the market.

The building at 231-233 Louisa Street is described in the real estate ad as a “fixer upper (that) has great potential” and is listed at $149,900.

The ad also drives home the rental income potential of the property – $29,095 a year.

It’s being sold by a Cornwall real estate agent.

Nada Kovinich told CNW the property was listed on February 29 with her company, Re/Max Cornwall Realty Inc., and then posted to the multiple listing service (MLS) the day after.

When asked why the property was being sold, Kovinich said she couldn’t disclose that information based on a confidentiality agreement with the owner.

Thumbs Up(6)Thumbs Down(0)