MCA waiting to speak with man in alleged border assault

(Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston, File)

AKWESASNE/CORNWALL – The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne said Thursday it hasn’t had a chance to get a first hand account from a man apparently roughed up by Canada customs agents.

Antoine Delormier, 67, claims he was physically assaulted by border guards Sept. 22 while trying to drive himself to the Cornwall hospital.

Delormier has a heart condition and was trying to seek treatment after falling ill.

He alleges agents at the Cornwall port of entry pulled him out of his truck, after he refused to get out of his vehicle, where he then fell on the ground and officers held him down.

The CBSA has said media accounts of what transpired at the border last month are inconsistent with their information.

The MCA said Thursday they are keeping in touch with Delormier’s immediate family and want to get his personal account of the incident once he’s recovered.

The band said it has informed the Assistant Deputy Minister of Public Safety Canada about what has happened.

Thumbs Up(4)Thumbs Down(1)