Grease fire damages home on Purcell Road

A South Glengarry firefighter walks out the front door of a home on Purcell Road Oct. 2, 2015 after a grease fire. The home has some smoke damage. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

GLEN WALTER – A home north of here has smoke damage after a kitchen fire Friday afternoon.

South Glengarry firefighters from the Glen Walter and Williamstown stations were called to the 600 block of Purcell Road around 12:30 p.m.

A man in the house and his dog had evacuated the building by the time firefighters arrived and appeared to be OK.

Fire Chief Vic Leroux told Cornwall Newswatch a pot of grease on the stove caught fire and firefighters were able to get the situation under control almost immediately.

Leroux said fortunately there was someone home at the time to call the fire department.

The building was aired out and firefighters left the scene within shortly after 1 p.m.

This is the second grease-related fire in SD&G in as many weeks.

A home on Willy Allen Road in South Stormont was heavily damaged Sept. 23 after a woman left a pot of grease on the stove unattended to chase a cat that got outside.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply