Cooking fire guts home on Willy Allen Road

A kitchen fire has destroyed the inside of this home on Willy Allen Road, east of Northfield, on Sept. 23, 2015. The homeowners managed to escape without injuries. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

NORTHFIELD – An unattended pot of oil on a stove is being blamed for a fire which consumed the inside of a home on Willy Allen Road just east of here.

South Stormont firefighters from Newington and Long Sault were called to the bungalow at 16423 Willy Allen Road at 12:28 p.m.

The Ingleside station provided a water truck because there are no hydrants in the area.

A neighbour said he called 911 after the woman at the home came running across the road.

“On arrival, the house was fully involved. There was a working smoke detector that was going off when the guys made entry,” South Stormont Fire Chief Gilles Crepeau told Cornwall Newswatch.

“The lady had started a pot of oil on the stove and her cat got loose. She went and chased the cat and when she came back the kitchen was full of flames,” Crepeau said.

The home has extensive damage. “Obviously, we had to ventilate before we made entry” referring to cutting holes in the roof and breaking the windows in the home.

The fire had made its way through the inside wall into the exterior wall of the single-storey home, the chief said.

“The guys did a great job.”

The home has been turned over to owners, who did have insurance.

There were no injuries.

Click on a picture thumbnail below to open a gallery of photographs.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply