SD&G – It appears some drivers in SD&G need to adjust to the winter driving conditions.
SD&G O.P.P. say during the first significant snowfall of the season on Monday they were kept busy dealing with 19 crashes in the United Counties.
Most of them were collisions or people putting their vehicle in a ditch or highway median.
Nearly half of the calls happened in Glengarry County.
The O.P.P. are offering these tips for winter weather driving:
- Reduce your speed – driving too fast for road conditions is the number one cause of motor vehicle collisions.
- Leave ample space between your vehicle and the one ahead.
- Begin braking earlier for stops and intersections.
- Is your vehicle ready for winter?
- Do you have a kit with warm clothes and/or blankets should you break down?
- Clean all snow/ice accumulations off of your vehicle before departure for maximum view.
- Plan your trip and check out the forecast.
- Do not to call the OPP for road conditions. You can now call 5-1-1 for interactive up to date road conditions anywhere in Ontario or call the MTO toll-free at 1-800-268-4686.