EOHU sees ‘marked change’ in cases; almost half of recent cases are younger people

Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, medical officer of health with the Eastern Ontario Health Unit, speaks to reporters on Monday, July 27, 2020. Roumeliotis says they are seeing a 'marked change' in cases locally affecting more younger people. (EOHU/Zoom via Newswatch Group)

EASTERN ONTARIO – After seeing seniors and nursing homes disproportionately affected in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, local Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis says there’s a “marked change” locally in the number of young people affected.

During his briefing with reporters Monday, Roumeliotis says his “rough estimate” of stats show that from May to June roughly 6 per cent of COVID-19 cases (3 of 54 cases) were people younger than 40 years of age.

In June and July – so far – the number of those younger than 40 has jumped to 45 per cent (11 of 25 cases). Five of the 25 cases are those younger than 18.

One of those is the newest case involving a child in Prescott-Russell, which brought the regional total to 175 cases with 154 resolved.

  • Prescott-Russell – 116 cases (101 resolved and 11 deaths)
  • SD&G – 34 cases (29 resolved)
  • Cornwall – 25 cases (24 resolved)

Roumeliotis believes the change is due to a “false sense of security” when most of the province entered Stage 3 openings. “We’re still in a pandemic. I keep saying it’s still in our back yard.”

The doctor also believes that the newer cases involving younger people are relating to partying in Quebec.

Roumeliotis says the “vast majority” of recent COVID-19 cases are showing no symptoms.

Thumbs Up(2)Thumbs Down(6)