Editor’s note: This story was updated at 1:25 p.m. Friday with new information from Russell County O.P.P.
EMBRUN, Ont. – The Eastern Ontario Health Unit is “pleading” with people who use marijuana edibles to keep them securely locked away after a young child recently overdosed on some treats.
Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis told Cornwall Newswatch Thursday the child from the Prescott-Russell area was between 2 and 5 years old and was treated and an Ottawa hospital.
“The child ate some edible cannabis that was left around. Cookies or I don’t know what it was. Fortunately, the child recovered. It’s another reminder that edibles, although they’re legal, please make sure you keep them under lock and key,” Roumeliotis said.
The doctor initially said the case was in Cornwall but later corrected the location to Russell County.
Russell County O.P.P. Const. Melissa Bouchard told Cornwall Newswatch Friday that the police report didn’t stipulate what sort of edible cannabis product the child ate.
Bouchard says the child was taken to hospital as a precaution and there was no life-threatening condition. “The child was still conscious. The child was fine. It was more prevention (precautionary measure) to be transported to hospital.”
The constable says the parents won’t face charges because “there’s no criminal negligence.”
Following a recent incident, the EOHU is pleading for individuals to keep edible cannabis out of reach, preferably in a locked location. Young children can accidentally eat cannabis, mistaking it for regular food. https://t.co/e6c8cD2Bv2 https://t.co/jTsgMjtA23 pic.twitter.com/QYHw5SAYz0
— EOHU Public Health (@EOHU_tweet) June 2, 2020