Small electrical fire in South Stormont home

Fire trucks sit outside a home on Cedar View Drive in South Stormont on Thursday, May 28, 2020. A homeowner was able to put out a small electrical fire in a wall socket before firefighters arrived. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

ST. ANDREWS WEST – A quick thinking homeowner in South Stormont was able to snuff out an electrical fire in his home Thursday afternoon.

South Stormont firefighters from the Long Sault and St. Andrews West stations were called to 5504 Cedar View Drive just after 3 p.m.

Fire Chief Gilles Crepeau told Cornwall Newswatch the homeowner was able to get the fire out in an electrical socket with a fire extinguisher.

“The homeowner did a good job,” Crepeau said.

At one point, a firefighter carried a saw inside the single-story home on a dead-end street, off the north side of Headline Road, between Power Dam Drive and Highway 138.

“They probably cut out a little bit of drywall just to make sure there was no fire extension,” Crepeau explained.

Firefighters wrapped up at the scene just before 4 p.m.

Thumbs Up(2)Thumbs Down(0)