Here are the latest local, regional and national headlines on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for Tuesday, April 7, 2020:
- There have been 4,347 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, an increase of 309 cases (or 7.7 per cent) from the previous day. There are 1,624 people recovered from the virus while 132 people have died. The number of Ontario people tested is 78,796 of which 329 have pending results.
- Canada’s confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 case total is 16,687. The country has 323 COVID-19 related deaths – 39 in British Columbia, 24 in Alberta, three in Saskatchewan, two in Manitoba, 132 in Ontario, 121 in Quebec and two in Newfoundland & Labrador.
- Cornwall, SD&G and Prescott-Russell added another two positive COVID-19 cases to its tally on Monday, bringing the total number of cases to 44 (previously 42).
- Some South Glengarrians are concerned they’re seeing a lot of Quebecers in their local stores and smaller communities. Local Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis says he’s had a meeting with local politicians and has been in touch with Ontario government officials about it. “This has to be dealt with,” he told Cornwall Newswatch Monday. Ontarians have been turned away at the border by Quebec police if their trips are non-essential but it’s barrier-free from Quebec to Ontario.
- A Cornwall city councillor is heading to CFB Borden, near Barrie, to be part of a reservist mission called Operation Laser. Coun. Justin Towndale says he will continue his duties as a councillor since remote working practices are in place for the city.
- Another safeguard for police, firefighters and paramedics responding to calls. The provincial government will now allow emergency responders to immediately know if they’re coming in contact with a person who’s been COVID-19 positive. The information will be limited to the person’s name, address, birth date and whether they’ve had a positive test result.
- The province is helping parents while schools and child care centers are closed. There will be a one-time payment of $200 per child ages 0-12 and $250 per child with special needs from ages 0-21. People who signed up for payments for child care during the teacher strikes won’t have to sign up again. If not, you can fill out the application here.
- Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, says wearing non-medical masks is a way for people who are not showing symptoms to prevent spreading the virus. That’s a change from Tam’s previous advice. She says there’s increasing evidence people with the virus can spread it without knowing they’re sick.
- A Via Rail worker who worked on trains travelling through Cornwall and Brockville has tested positive for coronavirus. The railway says the worker wasn’t symptomatic when working on the Quebec City to Windsor line in mid-March, but fell ill after they got home. Passengers who travelled on trains 61, 64, 643 and 68 on March 14 and 15 are being notified.
- As a nod to the trucking industry, ONRoutes along the 400 series of highways, including Highway 401, will be giving free medium coffees or beverages on Wednesday (April 8).
- In South Dundas, two full-time bylaw officers and the fire chief are enforcing Ontario’s emergency orders when it comes to crowd sizes and non-essential businesses being open in contravention to the order. The municipality says it’s more educational enforcement. There’s an exemption if you have five or more people living under one roof.
- While the Canada-U.S. border has been shut to non-essential traffic, some border points, east of Cornwall, are actually going to completely closed at night. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection Area Port of Champlain says it’s closing the checkpoints at Rouses Point and Overton Corners (near the NY-VT border), Mooers, Trout River (north of Malone) and Fort Covington (Dundee, Que.) nightly from 6 p.m. until 6 a.m.
- 3M will continue sending N95 masks to Canada under an agreement with the White House to import product from China. The company says the deal will allow for supply to meet the massive demand for masks in the U.S. while still fulfilling orders from Canada and Latin America.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to intensive care as he struggled with COVID-19. He’s not on a ventilator and is conscious after his symptoms worsened over the weekend.
Have a story or news release related to COVID-19? Send it along for possible inclusion in a future digest on Cornwall Newswatch. Email email@example.com. Please put “COVID-19 Digest” in the subject line.