AKWESASNE – The first confirmed case of novel coronavirus in Akwesasne has been confirmed by health authorities in Franklin County, N.Y.
The Franklin County Public Health Department notified the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Emergency Operations Center Saturday morning about the positive case involving a community member.
The person is in quarantine at home and is receiving followup care, the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne and the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe said in a joint news release.
No other information is being released about the case, citing patient confidentiality.
People in Akwesasne, who are still permitted to cross over international borders during the pandemic, are mandated to self-quarantine for 14 days if they travel beyond a 50 mile (80 kilometer) radius of the reserve.
If you’re in Akwesasne and have questions, here are the numbers for more information:
- Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Emergency Operations Center – 518-320-0019
- Mohawk Council of Akwesasne Emergency Operations Center – 613-575-5005 and 613-575-2331
- Saint Regis Tribal Medical Clinic – 518-358-3141 extension 7130
- Akwesasne Community Health – 613-575-2341 extension 3220
- New York State Coronavirus Hotline – 1-888-364-3065
- Eastern Ontario Health Unit – 1-800-267-7120