CORNWALL – The stepfather of a young Quebec man facing various firearms-related charges says his son was only trying to defend himself at an “underage” house party.
Wayne McCue spoke with Cornwall Newswatch about his stepson, 21-year-old Logan Munro of Pierrefonds, Que., and says the accusation that his son pointed a handgun at a woman at the party is “absolutely fabricated.”
Munro was charged last week with assault with a weapon, carrying a concealed weapon, using a firearm in the commission of an offence, unauthorized possession of a weapon in a motor vehicle, pointing a firearm, possession of a dangerous weapon and uttering threats. He’s accused of pulling a firearm at a house party on Alguire Street in Cornwall on April 1.
McCue says his son was a designated driver and took a group of his friends to the party.
“My son was sitting at a party, sober. Before he went to the party, he showed up at my house. Went to the party…picked up his friends who wanted to go to this party. He was a sober driver. Decided to drive to the party where there was allegations of a bunch of eggs and other things that got broken,” McCue told CNW.
That’s when, according to McCue, a “bunch of underage kids” decided to throw his son and his son’s friends out of the house.
“Then all of a sudden as he’s left alone, not sure where his friends went, was stuck where over half a dozen kids from this party decided to throw him out of the party and actually approached him physically,” McCue explained.
“(I) know for a fact that my son had no gun. There was never, ever a real gun or a BB gun in the point of this altercation at this party,” McCue said. “There was no gun. There was no firearms. There was no pellet gun. There was nothing pointed at the woman to hurt anybody. It wasn’t pointed directly at anybody. The gun or plastic gun – possibly – was pulled out to protect him from everybody else as he ran to his car and left the scene.”
“I was there (when Munro turned himself into police). I was sitting there with the three officers that were absolutely pleasurable with no problem at all. And in no way did I think that…and as well as they both know, all three officers know, there was no gun. There was no real gun in any of this,” McCue said.
“Why are you trying to bastardize a kid that all he was trying to do is defend himself in front of over 15 kids?” he asked.
McCue explained that his son, who has never had any problems with the law, is devastated and despondent about the turn of events. An aspiring soldier, McCue said the Canadian Army has cancelled Munro’s deployment, which was two weeks away.
“My son is sitting there at home crying, saying ‘All I did was try to defend myself and get the hell out of there.’ Where you had 14 guys at this party trying to beat the s— out of him over some girl who had underage people at her house party.”
“And then, all of a sudden, my son is being charged with eight charges. Figure that one out!”
McCue questions the credibility of his son’s accusers.
“Take a look at the credibility of the people that are making this comment about my son and half of them are underage. And take a look at the other 50 that were underage at this party. My son is 22 years old about to join the military. All of a sudden he’s getting charged with and being accused of pulling out a paintball gun, my friend, that was unarmed! And you have my word on that one.”
Munro is scheduled to appear in a Cornwall court, May 31.