Fire does $50K damage to Haystead Road home

(Newswatch Group/File)

SOUTH DUNDAS – A fire on Friday has caused roughly $50,000 damage to a home, 15 kilometers northeast of Morrisburg.

South Dundas firefighters from the Morrisburg and Williamsburg stations were called around noon to Eatwell Farms at 13801 Haystead Road.

“Upon arrival they found smoke coming from the second story. When firefighters entered the home they found that the basement was on fire and had burned though the floor in the kitchen area,” said Cameron Morehouse, chief of the South Dundas Fire Service.

It took about three-and-a-half hours to get the fire under control, the chief said, and firefighters were done at the scene around 9:45 p.m.

The fire department believes the fire started in the electrical system.