Stove fire near Glenview Heights

A Cornwall firefighter gets a fan into position on Monday, Sept. 12, 2016 at a home on Kirkwood Street in Cornwall, Ont. A stove caught fire leading to some smoke damage to the home. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – A home near Glenview Heights has some minor smoke damage after a stove fire Monday morning.

Cornwall firefighters were called to the 500 block of Kirkwood Street, off Lynwood Drive, around 11:45 a.m. where they were greeted with a single-storey home full of smoke.

“It was a self-cleaning stove that had some debris in the bottom of it. (There was) some smoke in the house so we got rid of the smoke. We’ve made sure that they’re code compliant with their smoke alarms and very little damage, which is good for them for sure,” Acting Platoon Chief John Irwin told Cornwall Newswatch.

Irwin said they used fans to ventilate the building and the damage was contained to inside the oven. “Even in behind, there’s no damage from the stove, even though the stove being self-cleaning can get extremely hot when they’re cleaning, there’s really no exterior damage,” Irwin said.

The woman in the house and her dog were able to escape without injury and took shelter at a neighbour’s home while firefighters did their work.

Firefighters wrapped up at the scene around 12:30 p.m.

Thumbs Up(14)Thumbs Down(1)