CORNWALL – A mother and her son were able to escape injury Monday night after a fire in the child’s closet.
The fire started around 8:45 p.m. at a three-storey townhouse unit (Unit 7) at 550 Lemay Street – the Cornwall and Area Housing Corporation’s New Johnstown Court.
Platoon Chief Luc Richer told Cornwall Newswatch the fire somehow started in a closet that was packed with toys and clothes.
“She just put her son to bed and a couple of minutes later he came running downstairs, telling the mother that there was a fire in his bedroom. It was in a closet. They both ran out so they’re both uninjured,” Richer said.
The seven-year-old boy and her mother were the only people in the townhouse unit.
Cornwall firefighters were able to put out the fire out quickly, keeping the flames from spreading to the walls and the attic.
“We stopped it from going to the attic – the attic is clear – and it didn’t breach any walls going to the neighbours,” Richer added.
A neighbouring unit was aired out because there were higher levels of carbon monoxide.
Paramedics and police were also on scene as a precaution and for crowd control.
The Cornwall Fire Department’s fire prevention office will be looking for the cause of the fire.