Stove fire damages Cornwall row house

Black smoke billows from an upstairs window of a row house on St. Michel Avenue in Cornwall, Ont. after a stove fire Feb. 4, 2016. No one was injured in the fire. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – A Cornwall row house has extensive smoke damage after a kitchen fire late Thursday night.

Cornwall firefighters were called to 1338 St. Michel Avenue, off Balmoral Avenue, around 10:50 p.m.

Platoon Chief Pierre Baril told Cornwall Newswatch an elderly woman and her son had been able to escape the home uninjured after something caught fire on the stove.

“An elderly woman (was) a little unclear whether she had left the stove on, but our initial crew made their way into the kitchen, discovered a small fire on top of the stove and in the general area. The fire was quickly extinguished,” Baril told CNW.

A charred stove sits on the front lawn of a row house complex on St. Michel Avenue in Cornwall, Ont. after a fire Feb. 4, 2016. A fire investigator says the unit the stove was in has extensive smoke damage. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
A charred stove sits on the front lawn of a row house complex on St. Michel Avenue in Cornwall, Ont. after a fire Feb. 4, 2016. A fire investigator says the unit the stove was in has extensive smoke damage. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

Thick smoke billowed from a second storey window as firefighters aired out the building and dragged the stove out to the front lawn.

The apartment had extensive smoke damage while the fire damage was contained to the kitchen, the cabinets and the area around the stove.

Baril wasn’t sure whether the tenants would return tonight as the wiring had to be inspected for damage and firefighters still had to complete air monitoring of the building.

Paramedics were on scene as a precaution, which is “always a great help for us,” the platoon chief said.

Thumbs Up(6)Thumbs Down(0)