CORNWALL – The Ontario Fire Marshal and a Cornwall fire prevention officer were on the scene Thursday morning looking into the cause of a fire at a triplex on Lefebvre Ave.
“Because of the type of fire we had and the victims being removed,” said Fire Chief Richard McCullough. “The fire marshal has to come to these types of fires whenever there’s a potential serious injury,” he said.
Emergency dispatchers received a 911 call around 7:10 p.m. Wednesday about a home on fire at 109 Lefebvre Avenue.
Firefighters found two tenants in the building – one hiding under a kitchen table and another on the living room floor.
“Basically it was full of smoke (the building), it was not hot,” said McCullough.
The tenants were pulled from the building and given CPR by firefighters before being taken to hospital by paramedics. They were then airlifted to an Ottawa hospital.
“Their prognosis is pretty serious,” said McCullough.
The chief hopes to have more information on the cause late Thursday or early Friday.