South Dundas murder trial postponed

The front entrance to the Ontario and Superior Courts of Justice on Second Street West in Cornwall, Ont. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston, File)

CORNWALL/SOUTH DUNDAS – The latest wave of the coronavirus pandemic has derailed a murder trial set for early next year.

Beverly Thomas, 61, of Digby, N.S., was supposed to go on trial in the death of 67-year-old Edward Allen.

Allen was found in medical distress at a Chess Road home, northwest of Iroquois, on Feb. 6, 2016. Emergency responders had been prompted to go to the home after an emergency phone call from inside the house, police said at the time. Allen died shortly after from undisclosed injuries.

Thomas was charged with first-degree murder in September 2018 following an investigation by the OPP, the Halifax Regional Police Service and the RCMP in Nova Scotia.

Court had set aside six weeks for a trial by judge and jury, starting the second week of January, but a court official told Cornwall Newswatch the trial “has been postponed due to the pandemic.”

The case will be heard again in a Cornwall court Jan. 10, 2022.

First-degree murder, which the Criminal Code of Canada describes as a planned and deliberate killing, carries an automatic life sentence with no possibility of parole for at least 25 years.