Here are the latest local, regional and national headlines on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for Thursday, December 9, 2021:
- There have been 626,321 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, an increase of 1,009 cases from the previous day (VAX: 421 unvaccinated, 22 partially vaccinated, 502 fully vaccinated, 64 unknown). There have been 607,926 people recovered from the virus while 10,044 have died. The number of Ontario people tested is 20,048,551 of which 19,212 have pending results.
- Canada’s coronavirus case total is 1,818,742. The country has 29,852 deaths from the virus – 14 in the Yukon, 12 in the Northwest Territories, four in Nunavut, 2,369 in British Columbia, 3,272 in Alberta, 936 in Saskatchewan, 1,341 in Manitoba, 10,044 in Ontario, 11,596 in Quebec, 136 in New Brunswick, 18 in Newfoundland & Labrador and 110 in Nova Scotia.
- The Eastern Ontario Health Unit added 18 cases Wednesday – three in Prescott-Russell, three in SD&G and 12 in Cornwall – to bring the regional total to 6,165 confirmed cases, of which 94 are active (five more than Tuesday) and 5,940 are resolved (13 more than Tuesday). The number of deaths to date is 131. There are three people in hospital and one in the ICU (no changes from Tuesday). There are no institutional outbreaks. Testing increased 245 to 175,070. The breakdown of cases is: Prescott-Russell 2,300 cases (12 active), SD&G 1,450 cases (25 active), Cornwall 1,902 cases (38 active) and Akwesasne (ON/QC) 513 cases (19 active)(Akwesasne health department reported five new cases Wednesday: 590 total cases, 20 active, nine deaths to date).
- The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit added no new cases Wednesday as the regional total stayed at 2,126 confirmed cases, of which 39 are active (no change from Tuesday) and 2,022 are recovered (no change from Tuesday). The number of deaths to date is 65. There are three people in hospital and one in the ICU (no changes from Tuesday). There are no active institutional outbreaks. The community case breakdown is: Lanark County East 455 cases (four active), Lanark County West 480 cases (two active), Leeds-Grenville Central 278 cases (13 active), Leeds-Grenville East 424 cases (nine active), Leeds-Grenville West 252 cases (10 active) and Unknown/Out of Region 30 cases (one active).
- Vaccines: Ontario 24,150,789 (+74,325, last update Dec. 8); EOHU 347,536 (last update Dec. 8, +1,838 from previous update Dec. 7); LGL 154,443 individuals living in LGL with first doses, 149,083 with second doses, 11,784 with third doses. (last update Dec. 5, +1,702 first doses, +347 second doses, +3,991 third doses since previous update Nov. 28).
Have a story or news release related to COVID-19? Send it along for possible inclusion in a future digest on Cornwall Newswatch. Email email@example.com. Please put “COVID-19 Digest” in the subject line.