McConnell Avenue fire in Cornwall caused by smoking

Firefighters work on the front porch of an apartment buidling on fire on McConnell Avenue in Cornwall, Ont. on Wednesday, April 29, 2020. (Newswtach Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – Fire investigators have determined that a carelessly tossed cigarette led to a fire that destroyed an apartment building on McConnell Avenue Wednesday afternoon.

Twelve people have lost their home at 129 McConnell after the fire around 1 p.m.

Witnesses say it appeared that the fire started in the front porch of the triplex and quickly spread up the front and sides of the building.

Fire Chief Pierre Voisine says people have to be even more vigilant about how they handle smoking materials since more residents are home in the age of physical distancing.

“Smoking is the number one cause of fatal home fires in Canada,” Voisine said.

While there were no injuries to people, a couple of cats perished in the fire.

Thumbs Up(1)Thumbs Down(36)