Update 2:30 p.m. Wednesday: Evacuation is over and residents are allowed to return.
LONG SAULT – Homeowners in a north-end neighbourhood in Long Sault were evacuated Wednesday afternoon after a natural gas leak.
South Stormont firefighters and police were called around 1:15 p.m. after a contractor struck a natural gas line in the 20 block of Cherry Avenue – a section of the town under development.
A strong smell of natural gas was in the neighbourhood, especially in places downwind to the east end of Cherry Avenue. Portions of French Avenue were also evacuated.
Firefighters went door to door and told residents to leave. They have gone to the Long Sault Arena and have been told to wait there for further instructions.
SD&G O.P.P. have Cherry Avenue closed.
Enbridge Gas and a natural gas construction company, NPL Canada, showed up on site just after 2 p.m. The leak was capped by 2:30 p.m. and residents were allowed to return to their homes.