Lucky homeowner catches shed fire in South Glengarry

South Glengarry Fire Chief Dave Robertson and Assistant Deputy Chief James Walker check over a shed at Rae Road and County Road 2 on Tuesday, April 30, 2019. The homeowner was able to get the fire out before firefighters arrived. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

GLEN WALTER – A combination of an electrical short and flammable liquids could have been a disastrous end for a South Glengarry homeowner Tuesday afternoon.

South Glengarry firefighters from three stations were called about a shed on fire about 15 feet (4.6 meters) from a home on the northwest corner of Rae Road and County Road 2 (18481 County Road 2) just before 4 p.m.

South Glengarry Fire Chief Dave Robertson told Cornwall Newswatch there had been an electrical short in the outbuilding.

“The homeowner had extinguished it. When we arrived, we assisted to pull some of the other fuel sources out of the building,” Robertson said.

Two of the three firefighter stations (Williamstown and Lancaster) were called off, leaving firefighters from Glen Walter to work on the scene.

“Luckily he (the homeowner) was home. Especially this time of year, we have lots of things (flammables) in our outdoor sheds so we have to watch for those types of incidents because a fire can grow very quickly,” the chief said.

Damage was “minimal” to the shed.

After firefighters checked over the building with a thermal imaging camera to look for any hot spots, they wrapped up at the scene around 5 p.m.

Thumbs Up(11)Thumbs Down(2)