NEWINGTON – A family is homeless after fire tore through their multi-storey home in Newington Thursday night.
Firefighters from Long Sault, Ingleside and Newington were called to the home at 3913 County Road 12, on the curve in the road in the village of Newington, just before 7 p.m.
Water support was also brought in under mutual aid from the Finch station in North Stormont.
Black smoke billowed out of the windows upstairs as flames tore through the top of the metal roof as firefighters tried to beat back in intense fire.
The house was vinyl-sided and appeared to have had several additions on the main building, with three storeys through most of the building but a half-storey in another section of the house.
Firefighters were still on the scene at 8:55 p.m. battling the flames.
A group of people, believed to be the family, gathered on a neighbour’s lawn as they consoled each other and were talking with a firefighter.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen.
As of 8:45 p.m. County Road 12/14 in the village of Newington remained closed to traffic as firefighters were still battling the blaze.
Just after 9 p.m., a high-hoe was on the scene to help tear down the building so firefighters could get at the hot spots.
The Cornwall chapter of the Canadian Red Cross has been called in to help the family.