CORNWALL – Problems with carbon monoxide resurfaced at an apartment complex on Louisa Street Monday night.
Cornwall firefighters and paramedics were on the scene of 231-233 Louisa around 10:30 p.m. after a tenant had called the landlord about their CO detector going off.
Cornwall Fire Department Platoon Chief Pierre Baril told Cornwall Newswatch the landlord had then called Union Gas, which summoned the fire department.
Baril said three people were assessed by paramedics on the scene but all three refused treatment. There were no other injuries.
This was the same location where two people were hospitalized last month after being poisoned by carbon monoxide.
“We did discover two of the wall heat units that were leaking again,” Baril said. “As a result of that, Union Gas was called in. They also did an inspection of the units and deemed it necessary once again to turn the natural gas off to the unit,” Baril said.
The natural gas was off to all five units and also the hot water tanks. With no hot water and heat to the building, the Cornwall Red Cross was brought in to assist tenants with shelter for the night.
As of early Tuesday morning, Baril indicated a family of four was going to take advantage of shelter while the other five people in the building were weighing their options.
While the matter is still under investigation, there was no citation given tonight.
“At this time, in the owner’s defence, I believe he has done his due diligence. He’s had a local contractor come in and examine the units, was under the impression that those units were repaired and perhaps something might have been missed,” Baril said.
The building owner will most likely have the contractor in first thing in the morning to look at the problem.
The fire department wrapped on Louisa Street just before 2 a.m. Tuesday.