Barn destroyed in fire was accidental

(Newswatch Group/File)

Randi Belec

SOUTH DUNDAS – A fire that levelled a barn near Morrisburg has been deemed not suspicious.

Lakeshore Drive was closed for approximately nine hours Tuesday afternoon between Flagg Road and Hanes Road from 3:45 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. as firefighters tried to beat down the flames at 11846 County Road 4.

South Dundas Fire Chief Chris McDonough tells Cornwall Newswatch the barn caught fire while the owners were attempting to thaw some frozen pipes with a hairdryer. The heat caught the dry hay on fire in the haymow.

The barn was destroyed and several goats and a llama were lost in the flames, although the South Dundas fire department was able to keep the flames from spreading.

McDonough says the farm was a unique place; they took in many abused or abandoned animals while finding them better homes.

During the course of the night many neighbors came together to help relocate many of the animals until new arrangements can be made.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply