GREEN VALLEY — A garage fire in South Glengarry on County Road 34 has been ruled accidental.
The fire on Monday afternoon at 4448 County Road 34, just north of Concession Road 7, had firefighters battling flames for nearly five hours.
The department eventually brought in a hi-hoe to tear the garage apart in order to put it out the fire more quickly.
Fire Chief Vic Leroux says, after speaking with the homeowner, it’s believed a wood stove in the garage is the culprit.
Leroux says the homeowner lit the stove and went into the house and came back to see the area around the chimney glowing red.
Damage is estimated at $20,000.
The homeowner did have insurance, Leroux said.