LUNENBURG — A house near Lunenburg has been destroyed by fire.
The home on Maloney Road caught fire just after 12 p.m. and was fully involved by the time firefighters arrived.
The two storey house is also home to Nature’s Way Pet Crematorium and an adjoining pet cemetery.
However, the crematorium was spared the flames.
South Stormont firefighters from Long Sault and Newington have been battling the fire for nearly two hours and it isn’t out as of 1:30 p.m.
Tanker trucks have been steadily bringing in water to the location off County Road 18, just north of St. Andrews West.
Loud pops — possibly fireworks or ammunition — could be heard coming from the home and thick, black smoke is billowing into the air, which can be seen several kilometers away.
Paramedics were on the scene earlier but left as there were no reported injuries.
Nature’s Way Pet Cemetary and Crematorium has been in business since 1995 and provides aftercare arrangements for family pets, according to its website.
The Red Cross and Victims Services are on scene, helping the family who are said to be devastated by the loss.
Check back to this story throughout the day for updates.