Woman, two dogs escape Cornwall fire

Members of Amanda Gordon's family (right) group on the street outside their burnt home (left). Click on photo to enlarge. (Cornwall Newswatch)

CORNWALL, Ont. – A Cornwall woman is crediting her two pooches for alerting her to a quick-spreading house fire. Amanda Gordon was visiting her in-laws’ Brodeur Street home around 2 p.m. this afternoon.

“I was sitting on the couch watching TV and then I heard this crackling sound,” said Gordon. Flames and smoke had quickly spread up the outside of the home from the screen door on the first floor and charred the building to the top of the second floor.

The side of this Brodeur St. home is charred after a fire around 2 p.m. on Sep. 29. (Cornwall Newswatch)

Gordon says the two dogs in the home also alerted her to the blaze and all three managed to get out safely. The two-storey home in the 1,200 block of Brodeur has extensive damage.

Cornwall firefighters were on the scene for several hours before getting the fire under control. It’s not known what started the fire and officials are still investigating.

Gordon says her in-laws will likely be staying at her house until they can return home, which could be several weeks.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply