The following is a news release from the Cornwall and District Chamber of Commerce on its annual awards banquet on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. The business awards included naming local dentist Dr. Rachel Navaneelan the Citizen of the Year.
Dr. Rachel Navaneelan, a prominent local dentist and philanthropist, has been named the Cornwall Chamber’s prestigious Citizen of the Year. The announcement was made before more than 200 guests at the Chamber’s distinguished 2017 Business Excellence Awards banquet.
“The Citizen of the Year is a significant award,” states Chamber Vice President Lesley Lang. “It is bestowed upon an individual whose unflagging commitment to our community has made it a better place for all of us. The Chamber can think of no better person than Dr. Navaneelan to win this special award.”
Dr. Navaneelan’s contribution to the community has been unprecedented. She has supported the hospital, the Children’s Treatment Centre, Victim’s Services, Big Brothers Big Sisters and more. Her generosity has led to the well known Rachel’s Kids and more recently, the House of Hope.
Dr. Navaneelan was joined by a number of individuals and businesses who received awards in various categories. The awards and winners included:
- Above and Beyond – The NAV Centre – Kim Coe-Turner, General Manager
- Ambassador – Lars Ove-Harraldson
- Breakthrough – Shorty Jenkins Curling Competition
- Small Business – Rurban Brewery – Andy and Karen Rorabeck, Owners
- Business – Laminacorr – Guy Robichaud, President
- Economic Impact – Morbern Industries – Mark Bloomfield, Vice President
- Entrepreneur – Kings and Little Ones – Josh Casselman, Owner
- Tourism Excellence – Apples and Art Studio Tour
“This is the 29th year for the Chamber’s Business Excellence awards and the 45th presentation of the Citizen of the Year, ” declares Lang. “As the leading advocate for business in the Cornwall region, the Chamber proud to honour those in our community who have made Cornwall a better place to work and to live.”