SD&G – With the first long weekend of 2017, there are a number of Family Day activities going on throughout SD&G. However you will find a few closures.
Here’s what is open and closed on Monday, Feb. 20:
- City of Cornwall, the United Counties and SD&G township offices
- Most grocery stores
- Most LCBO and The Beer Store locations
- Cornwall Square
- Cornwall Transit is not operating and the office is closed
- In Cornwall, no garbage or recycling collection. Your pickup day will be a day later than your normal pickup the rest of the week.
- Federal government offices
- Canada Post and mail will be delivered
- The Cornwall Public Library 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Family programming that day will include an English movie “Trolls” at 9:45 a.m., “Middle School – The Worst Year of my Life” at 12:30 p.m., and a French movie “La Gang hors la loi” at 3 p.m.
- Benson Center and Civic Complex – offices closed but facilities open for regular programming. The Benson Center paid public skate at 1 p.m. $2.50 for children and $3 for adults.
- Aquatic Center – open 12:30 p.m. until 4 p.m. Leisure swims at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.
- The Cornwall Colts game against the Gloucester Rangers is at 3 p.m. at the Civic Complex. The box office will be open prior to the game.
Here’s a list of activities happening around SD&G:
Friends of the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Santuary are having games in the snow. Blind Man’s Buff, Fox and Geese etc. Noon until 3:30 p.m. BBQ hot dogs and refreshments available. $5 per person, children under 12 are free.
- A free Family Day skate at the Morrisburg Arena at 10 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 20.
- Friends of the Summerstown Forest will have free cross country ski and snowshoe rentals for families. The Summerstown trails are 1.6 kilometers north of Highway 401 on Summerstown Road. 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Public skating at the North Stormont Arena from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- No public notice of Family Day events
- Free events in Alexandria and Maxville all day including skating and shinny, a snowman building competition., and sleigh rides.
- There are a number of family events at Island Park, Glengarry Sports Palace and the Maxville Sports Complex. Click here for more information (opens a township PDF).
From all of us at Cornwall Newswatch have a safe and wonderful Family Day.