Kitchen fire at Crescent View Drive home; pets rescued

Smoke puffs out the side door and from a vent in the roof of this Crescent View Drive home in Cornwall, Ont. on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016. The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – A city home has moderate damage after a kitchen fire Thursday afternoon.

Cornwall firefighters were called just after 2 p.m. to a home on 24 Crescent View Drive – a single-storey house tucked on the backside of a cul-de-sac for Crescent View Drive and Gallinger Avenue.

Acting Platoon Chief Jody Dewar told Cornwall Newswatch the woman at the home had gone out with her grandson to put out the garbage and had decided to walk with him down the block.

When she came back, the building was filled with smoke.

The family was out of the building when firefighters arrived and they were also able to rescue two cats – one crying loudly in a firefighter’s arm – who were then quickly whisked away by the homeowner to a waiting car.

Cornwall firefighter Alex Monpetit reunites one of two cats with the homeowner, foreground, rescued from a Crescent View Drive home on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016. Also with Monpetit is Acting Platoon Chief Jody Dewar. The fire is believed to have started in a pot left on the stove. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
Cornwall firefighter Alex Monpetit reunites one of two cats with the homeowner, foreground, rescued from a Crescent View Drive home on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016. Also with Monpetit is Acting Platoon Chief Jody Dewar. The fire is believed to have started in a pot left on the stove. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

The preliminary cause is of the fire is believed to be a pot left on the stove but that will be confirmed once Fire Prevention Officer Terry Lauzon completes his investigation.

Dewar also underscored how dangerous and how quickly kitchen fires can start. “Five to ten minutes, that’s all it takes,” he said.

There were no injuries.

Two firefighters get ready to rush inside a Crescent View Drive home on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016 after a kitchen fire. It's believed a pot left on the stove caught fire while the homeowner went for a brief walk. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
Two firefighters get ready to rush inside a Crescent View Drive home on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016 after a kitchen fire. It’s believed a pot left on the stove caught fire while the homeowner went for a brief walk. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
Thumbs Up(13)Thumbs Down(1)