Landlord guilty in CO poisoning case

An ambulance heads from a Louisa Street apartment complex on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016 after several tenants suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. Cornwall Fire Platoon Chief Pierre Baril says a guest at the building found one of the tenants was partially overcome by the colourless, odourless gas. Two people were hospitalized. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – A provincial court has found a city landlord guilty of two infractions, which led to the carbon monoxide poisoning of tenants at an Alice Street apartment last winter.

Jason Chin was found guilty last week on two charges of failing to install a smoke alarm and failing to install a carbon monoxide detector under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act.

He has to pay the court $1,000 for each charge, plus court costs and the Victim Fine Surcharge for a total of $2,260.

According to Fire Chief Pierre Voisine, Chin also had to make a presentation to the SD&G Landlords Association about the importance of smoke alarms and CO detectors, as part of making amends, which has already been done.

Two residents at the apartment complex at 231-233 Louisa Street were hospitalized Feb. 24, 2016 after exhibiting symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure.

At the time, Cornwall Fire Department Platoon Chief Pierre Baril said there were a number of smoke alarms and CO detectors missing in the building and there were several faulty natural gas heating units.

The building was put on the market in the middle of March though it’s unclear whether the apartment complex is under new ownership.

Thumbs Up(26)Thumbs Down(1)