Two apartment fires caused by smoking

Two Cornwall apartment fires on First Street East (top) on Monday, Aug 22, 2016 and on Montreal Road (bottom) on Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 were both caused by smoking, investigators have determined. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston, File)

CORNWALL – Two apartment fires in the past week are the result of careless smoking.

That determination from fire investigators after a Saturday fire at a nine unit apartment complex on Montreal Road and a fire in a four-plex on First Street East on Monday.

“Both fires will be deemed as careless use of smoking materials,” Fire Chief Pierre Voisine told Cornwall Newswatch.

The fires have left a number of people homeless.

The fire department and health unit launched a task force and a hotline last year to deal with smoking-related fires.

If you or someone you know is at risk of starting a fire you can call the hotline at 613-930-7408 and leave a message.

The fire department will visit the person and educate them on the potential dangers to themselves and others.

Thumbs Up(8)Thumbs Down(5)