Fellow Cornwall tenants put out smoking-related fire

Cornwall firefighters help two residents (one in the driveway, the other in a chair on an upstairs balcony) after a bathroom fire Wednesday, July 20, 2016. Smoking is believed to have been the cause. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – Two young men are credited with putting out a smoking-related fire in an apartment complex on Second Street West.

Firefighters and paramedics were called to an upstairs apartment at 318 Second Street West around 3:10 p.m., where light smoke was wafting from the door when they arrived.

“A couple of kids here on the main level went up and put it out. She (the tenant) was coming out the door and they went in, got her sitting down, and went in and put the fire out,” Platoon Chief Steven O’Reilly told Cornwall Newswatch.

“We have a small fire in a washroom caused as a result of improper handling of smoking materials,” O’Reilly said.

The duo had run upstairs with a garden hose to beat down the flames.

Cornwall/SDG Paramedic Service Commander Brian Dufresne and paramedic Vanessa Leblanc speak with a woman after a fire in her apartment Wednesday, July 20, 2016. A preliminary investigation has determined the fire was smoking-related. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
Cornwall/SDG Paramedic Service Commander Brian Dufresne and paramedic Vanessa Leblanc speak with a woman after a fire in her apartment Wednesday, July 20, 2016. A preliminary investigation has determined the fire was smoking-related. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

Damage was confined to the bathroom area with light smoke throughout the rest of the apartment.

The tenant was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Another elderly tenant was taken to hospital for possible shock from all the excitement.

Firefighters were checking with the landlord to make sure all the apartments are complaint with smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.

Thumbs Up(28)Thumbs Down(5)