Ontario Hockey Academy students get home

Smoke pours from an upstairs window of a dormitory at the Ontario Hockey Academy Thursday, May 26, 2016. Firefighters had to bring in all available manpower to battle the blaze for roughly five hours. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – It appears all the students affected by the Ontario Hockey Academy fire Thursday have been able to make their way home.

MP Guy Lauzon told Cornwall Newswatch that he had initially received a list of 30 Canadian students needing travel documents and put the school in touch with Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

By late Friday morning, that list had been whittled down to eight.

Lauzon said he had put out several calls to the OHA and hasn’t heard from the school about having to use the federal agency so he assumes everything was able to be resolved.

In a Saturday posting on the Ontario Hockey Academy Facebook page, Kim Lascelle indicated that by 10 p.m. Friday night, even the European students were going home.

“In the end I think we had 5 Embassies to deal with and by 10pm last night my kids all had their passports to travel. Thank you to the staff. Without missing a beat they all stepped up to plate and made the kids their first priority even when so many of them at lost things,” Lascelle wrote.

An investigation by the fire prevention office was completed Friday afternoon and the building on Vincent Massey Drive was turned over to Winmar.

Results of that investigation have not been released.

Thumbs Up(19)Thumbs Down(3)