Smoking-related fire on Ontario St. in Cornwall

Cornwall firefighters leave through the front door of this home on Ontario Street on Oct. 2, 2015 after a smoking-related fire. Damage was contained to the back porch. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – The back porch of a Cornwall home has been damaged after a smoking-related fire.

Firefighters were called to a two-storey home at 1121 Ontario Street just before 2 p.m. and quickly snuffed out the fire at the back of the house.

Platoon Chief Steven O’Reilly said the cause is improperly discarded smoking materials.

He told Cornwall Newswatch someone had thrown a cigarette butt out a second-storey window and it became lodged between the porch and the siding.

The damage is said to be minor.

Firefighters use a heat-sensing device to check for any hot spots under the back porch of an Ontario Street home on Oct. 2, 2015 after a smoking-related fire. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
Firefighters use a heat-sensing device to check for any hot spots under the back porch of an Ontario Street home on Oct. 2, 2015 after a smoking-related fire. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

Fire Chief Pierre Voisine told CNW he is “continually amazed and how efficient our firefighters are” and how they minimized the damage.

Voisine said with today’s windy conditions, the fire could have quickly spread.

There were no injuries.

Smoking-related fires have been a thorn in the side of the local fire department. The chief launched a task force and hotline in June to try and minimize these types of fires.

Thumbs Up(8)Thumbs Down(1)