CORNWALL – One man is being treated at hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire in a duplex on Louisa Street.
Firefighters, police and EMS were called to 240-242 Louisa Street just before 10 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Acting Platoon Chief Jody Dewar told Cornwall Newswatch their preliminary findings show the fire started in an area where a box window fan was located in an upstairs bedroom.
“It appears to have started in that area,” Dewar said.
The fire prevention office is still investigating and will make an official determination.
Dewar said the fire created thick, black smoke and one of the occupants went back in the apartment to try and put the fire out.
“They were just leaving the apartment and they went back in (when the neighbours noticed the smoke),” Dewar said.
There was moderate smoke damage to the one apartment but not a lot of fire damage, he said.
The man was taken to hospital by paramedics in an ambulance.
Dewar said there were two cats in the apartment – one that was accounted for and the other is missing, presumed to be hiding.
A puppy in the adjoining unit was rescued by firefighters.