Kitchen fire at Louisa Street apartment building

Residents at this apartment complex on Louisa Street have been displaced after a fire Aug. 15, 2015 in a ground floor unit. There were no injuries. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – Residents of an east end apartment four-plex have been temporarily displaced after a kitchen fire.

Cornwall firefighters were called to the building in the 300 block of Louisa Street just after 3 p.m. after reports of smoke pouring out of a ground floor unit.

They were able to get the fire out quickly.

A dog in an upstairs unit was saved by a fellow tenant while several kittens could be seen being rescued by firefighters and handed to a woman behind the fire line.

Two Cornwall firefighters hand over two rescued kittens after an apartment fire on Louisa Street on Aug. 15, 2015. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)
Two Cornwall firefighters hand over two rescued kittens after an apartment fire on Louisa Street on Aug. 15, 2015. (Newswatch Group/Bill Kingston)

One of the four units was vacant and was undergoing renovations, a neighbour said.

Tenants were allowed back into the building to collect some of their belongings but they will have to make other living arrangements in the short term.

One tenant described to neighbours how his upstairs unit had extensive smoke damage.

There are no apparent injuries.

The episode was a little too close to home for Yvan and Sue Venson, who live next door and are rebuilding their life after a fire destroyed their house in June 2014.

“I saw the smoke coming out of the door, it was coming full blast,” Yvan said.

“Thank God nobody got hurt,” Sue Venson told Cornwall Newswatch. “We just got the okay to move (back) in a week-and-a-half ago. I just hope they they had insurance,” she said.

The building has since been turned over to the landlord.

Firefighters wrapped up at the scene just before 5 p.m.

Thumbs Up(12)Thumbs Down(0)