Mattress fire on Cornwall’s Prince Arthur St.

A paramedic walks over to help a man (behind the firefighters) who inhaled a lot of smoke after a mattress fire at this home on Prince Arthur Street on May 28, 2015. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)

CORNWALL – A man had to be taken to hospital by paramedics for smoke inhalation after a mattress fire inside his home.

Firefighters, police and EMS workers were called to 24 Prince Arthur Street just before 6 p.m.

Cornwall Fire Department Platoon Chief Pierre Baril tells Cornwall Newswatch the cause of the fire was careless smoking.

Firefighters had to drag the smoldering mattress outside and douse it with water in the driveway.

The mattress and box spring lay in the driveway of a Prince Arthur Street home after a fire on May 28, 2015. The homeowner was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation. The fire department says the cause was careless smoking. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)
The mattress and box spring lay in the driveway of a Prince Arthur Street home after a fire on May 28, 2015. The homeowner was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation. The fire department says the cause was careless smoking. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)

Baril says the larger-than-normal police presence was after a person in the home “became irritated” with the fire and the possibility of losing his possessions.

Baril says the person was being reassured by officers.

Emergency crews wrapped up at the scene around 6:30 p.m.

A mattress fire on Prince Arthur Street on May 28, 2015 drew a large crowd on several blocks around Prince Arthur and Prince Albert Streets near the waterfront. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)
A mattress fire on Prince Arthur Street on May 28, 2015 drew a large crowd on several blocks around Prince Arthur and Prince Albert Streets near the waterfront. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)

Thumbs Up(6)Thumbs Down(1)