Fire levels storage shed near Glen Walter

Flames jump from what's left of this storage shed on Paragon Rd. on May 5, 2015. The owner says it was full of air conditioning units and tools. Click photo to enlarge. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)

GLEN WALTER – An HVAC contractor has lost some pricy equipment and tools after a storage shed fire near here.

South Glengarry firefighters were called to 18695 Paragon Road around 3:35 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.

Black smoke poured from a storage shed at the back of the property, which could be seen several kilometers away, even by the owner.

“I was dealing with customers and…coming from town I see all this black smoke and I thought ‘What is that?’ and I thought the guy was burning stuff down in the forest there,” Jim Gordon told Cornwall Newswatch as be pointed to the south side of Paragon Road.

“And then I come down the road a little farther and I see all the cars,” the owner of JG Refrigeration Services said.

“It was full of equipment – some new stuff and old stuff too – piping,” Gordon said. He says there were a number of window AC units as well as an air conditioning unit from the seaway building which he was trying to sell. He estimates it’s worth $10,000.

“At least I don’t have to do the grass there for a while…or weed the garden next to the house,” he said jokingly.

A black lab lies in the grass while firefighters (not shown) put out the remainder of this storage shed fire on Paragon Rd. on May 5, 2015. The building is a total loss. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)
A black lab lies in the grass while firefighters (not shown) put out the remainder of this storage shed fire on Paragon Rd. on May 5, 2015. The building is a total loss. (Cornwall Newswatch/Bill Kingston)

The flames did not reach the main house but two firefighters were perched on the roof as a precaution.

Gordon has no idea what may have started the fire and says he wasn’t in the storage shed for at least a couple months. The out building didn’t have electricity.

Gordon says he did have insurance.

A backhoe was brought in to tear down the remainder of the shed and firefighters were still on scene at 4:30 p.m. putting out hot spots.

Thumbs Up(1)Thumbs Down(0)