SD&G – There are a number of Family Day activities going on this weekend in SD&G however you will find a few closures.
Here’s what is open and closed on Monday Feb. 16:
- City of Cornwall, the United Counties and SD&G township offices
- Most grocery stores
- LCBO and The Beer Store locations
- Cornwall Square
- Cornwall Transit is not operating and the office is closed
- In Cornwall, no garbage or recycling collection. Your pickup day will be a day later than your normal pickup the rest of the week.
- Federal government offices
- Canada Post and mail will be delivered
- The Cornwall Public Library 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Family programming that day will include an English movie “Earth to Echo” at 10 a.m. and a French movie “La gang des hors-la-loi” at 2 p.m. Kids program for ages 7-12 from 11 a.m. to noon called “Picture yourself in a tree.” Bring family pictures and build a family tree.
- Benson Center – senior skate at 9:30 a.m., public skates at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. and family stick and puck skate at 3 p.m.
- Aquatic Center – leisure swims at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.
- The NHL Alumni game at 12 p.m. at the Civic Complex
- The Cornwall Colts game against the Nepean Raiders at 3 p.m. at the Civic Complex. Local boxer Tony Luis and his father, Jorge, will do a ceremonial puck drop.
Here’s a list of activities happening around SD&G:
- the Upper Canada Visitor Center is open from 12 p.m. until 4 p.m.
- A Family Day skate from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Dundela Outdoor Rink with games, prizes, a bonfire, hot dogs, hot chocolate and apple cider. It’s being put on by the South Dundas Optimist Club.
- Nature tours by South Nation Conservation through the Two Creeks Conservation Area in Iroquois. Snowshoes and cross country skis available through South Dundas Sports Lending Library. Tours run 10 a.m. until noon.
- Both events are free.
- Friends of the Summerstown Forest will have free cross country ski and snowshoe rentals for families. The Summerstown trails are 1.6 kilometers north of Highway 401 on Summerstown Road.
- Martintown Community Park will have activities including snowman building, hockey shooting contests and a bonfire.
- Free public skating at the North Stormont Arena in Finch from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- No public notice of Family Day events
- Free events in Alexandria all day including a bouncy castle, indoor soccer and free walking and running all day at the Tim Hortons Indoor Soccer Dome.
- At the Glengarry Sports Palace: free skating from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Canadian flag celebration at 11 a.m., lunch in the hall from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (proceeds to the church on the hill), Highland Games Heavyweight from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m., Gaels football game in the snow from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., Free family hockey from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. (gloves and helmets are required), free skating from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., hot air balloon rides, Fun with Snowshoes (Friends of the Glengarry Trails), snowmobile rides, indoor games and face painting.
- Spaghetti supper from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Adults: $8 / Children: $4)
- Spaghetti eating contest at 6 p.m. (Registration $10 per participant)
From all of us at Cornwall Newswatch have a safe and wonderful Family Day.